Life In A Pub

By steambunz - Saturday, April 17, 2010



It was a normal Saturday night, hanging out with a gang of 5 old friends. Philip, he was the eldest among the gang, also a leader, decided to head to the pub.

He ask us whether we want to tag along. He wanted to show us some old performing band playing in an old pub.

Well, to spice up my Saturday night, I decided to go along. Not because everyone was going, but since I've never been to a pub, so, why not?!


Upon arriving there, we made the "big" entrance, everyone eyes turn to meet upon us.
Okay, let's see.
I'm still 17 going on 18. One year difference won't hurt, aye?
And then, there's my black sports shirt and black pants with a pair of white Nike running shoes and with my hair neatly tied.
Oh, who cares?! I don't care what I wear to the pub?!


Anyway, we manage to find a table for ourselves, which is just right in front of the stage, at the dark corner.

We were early, because there were people on stage making preparations.
There were rock musics playing through the amplifiers.
The smell of cigarette smokes fills the air, mixing with the smell of beer and the air-conditioning.

A sexy waitress strolls along to our table and kindly ask us anything that we which to order. She brought us the drinks Menu as well. I saw a pen sticking between her cleavage. I bet all the guys are dying to use her pen. I glance through the list of drinks.

Philip knew it was my first time there. He gave me a warm smile and said, “Order anything that you like. You can try a glass of cocktail, if you can’t finish, you can give it to me.”

Beer.
Cocktails.
Vodkas.

Isn’t there any other drinks which doesn’t involve a drop of alcohol?
Yes! There! Bingo! At the corner of my eyes, a list of fruit juices were listed.
I ordered a glass of mango juice. Thinking, that I have to play safe just for the night.


As, we settle down into the environment. I look around the surroundings. Old middle-age people hanging around. Sober people. Happy people. Stress up people. Emotional people. Many types of people!


I took a sip from my juice, as I continue observing the people around me. The music, blaring from its speakers. My heartbeat, following the beat of the music. The speaker annoys me so much, that I could just imagine myself turning into this hideous gorilla and flinging those gigantic amplifiers at the crowd. It was placed in front of me.


Finally, the band, led by 4 people in their 40’s started performing. I forgot the band’s name, because their not as important as my SPM syllables.
Because they were playing all oldies songs, there were some songs which I couldn’t recognize.

As I observe the 2 lead singers singing, one with long hair and big specs playing the guitar. While the other, curly shoulder length hair with a moustache, his unbutton shirt and his bulging stomach, he’s the leader of the band.
They sing good songs. They’ve got the voice to sing it.
I went home late that night.




~ ~ ~
Reviews


But, seriously, the long hair man with his guitar. The more I see him play, the more I think that his hair is fake.

On the other hand, the lead singer with the curly hair and moustache. I keep staring at his bulging stomach. Not to be offensive, but it kept me thinking as I look at him. I thought to myself, is this all he does with his life? Sings in a pub, drinks beer, sleeps when the sun rises, wakes up again and sing? Wow. That’s a life that I wouldn’t want of.



People. A pub is a place where many different people are gathered together. Just by looking at them, you could read them just like an open storybook.


3 middle-age ladies sat on the table, drinking beer. 3 of them, not talking. Maybe, they’ve been friends for many years, and just wanted to chill out together after a rough day at work. As, they say, Silence Is Golden.


A lady sitting and enjoying the beautiful oldies music. Maybe, she’s a mother who is having a break from her households chores and comes to the bar every night without fail to listen to her favourite band playing.


A man in his 50’s sitting at the bar, downing a bottle of beer. Probably, he had fought with his spouse or he just had a rough day at work.


There are many different people with many different stories written inside them.

And, one of it is about a lady who made her first trip to a pub, and begun looking at these weird people around her and writing it down as her own experience story. That lady, was me. Obviously.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 dim sums