Chapter 24.08 : 24 Things I Did While I Was 24

By steambunz - Friday, December 01, 2017

"Go on... Make a wish..."

I pondered for a moment.
Is there anything that I really want to wish for?


I looked at the lighted candle in front of me.
All my wishes came true. What more do I want? I ask myself.

As I closed my eyes and was about to blow out the candle, I thought to myself...
I wish....

... I wish that I could...

* * *

Here, I am, reaching the so called "quarter life crisis" age. Why do people even call it a crisis stage? The only crisis I have right now is trying to write a blog article every once a week (which I failed to do so obviously).

Alright, jokes aside. The real quarter life crisis I have right now is hoping not to grow old too fast and die :( The thought of it really scares me. Just imagine being old and not being able to run, or do any workout. I couldn't live my life without being able to run wild and free.

That's why, this year was a really special year for me. 2017 is the year of change and coming out from my comfort zone once again. It's been a long time since I last told myself to step out from my comfort zone. I'm pretty proud of myself that I took this decision.

So, here goes the 24 things I did this year for a real change :

1. Removed My Braces
Two(2) years+ of torment and agonizing internal pain from not being to chew off steaks, and eating anything that gets stuck between these metal wiring, has paid off. Used to closed my mouth when I smile, but now I can smile to the whole world. I also realized that the structure of my face change along the way. It made me face look slightly sharper, fat and plumper. Or maybe it's just the food...



2. Distributing to the Homeless
Has been delaying this for so many months. This time I had the impulse to do it for sure because, No.1, I really wanted get rid of my samples. No.2, I only want the homeless to have them. Best part is that my mom spontaneously tagged along. During the distribution, I felt a wall between my feelings and the homeless people. Not really sure why, but in the end, it's the thought, intention, and actions that counts.



3. Attended D2Y CNY Caroling
Okay, thought I would be signing up just to sing. Manatau kena con, and in the end I was singing, and also doing something else. Somehow, I just cannot let things become a disaster, but this year we had some pretty cool beat boxers and instrument players. Not bad.



4. Quick Catch Up with University Mates
Met up with long-time-no-see Sheng Lieng, Jia Meng, Jun Poey, YiXuan, Sheng Ying, Kai Lin, & Zann. Pretty happy to know everyone is doing well.



5. Celebrated our 1st Anniversary Together
A year went by in a blink of an eye. I used to be an independent person. I still am, but when I'm around him, I become his little kid (in his definitions lol). He really takes care of me more than I do myself. Many times I don't deserve to be pampered, but he still pampers me instead. Because of that, during the course of the relationship, I realize 2 changes of myself. No.1, I became a more confident person. No.2, I became slightly more caring towards others around me besides my partner. A relationship not only reflects a couples chemistry, but it also reflects the persons personality and attitude. And the thing is, I became a better version of myself when I'm with him, and there is nothing in the world I would trade him for. 



6. Tried Boxing
Boxing was pretty cool, and it was a great way to relieve stress. Had my first experience in sparring too, but can sometimes end up in a cat fight with Lydia Chang. Boxing training led by Zhi Xian, David Lim, and Fred.



7. Farewell Celebration for Sara Nui & Lydia Chang
These 2 decided to pursue their dreams to travel to their dream country. Another friend of mine, Sheng Ying, also decided to pursue her dreams to study and work in Japan. Happy to know that these 3 decided to live their life instead of conforming to society standards.



8. Completed My First Half-Marathon Series and My First 30km
It was my dream to try a half-marathon at least once in my lifetime, and I finally did it not once, but 4 times!! Even went to the maximum to challenge myself to a 30km run. After this experience, I realized one thing...

Running became my addiction. The thrill, excitement, and adrenaline rush to conquer each challenge, and having to complete it in the end is very, VERY self-fulfilling. Which had taught me one thing, anything impossible is possible to achieve if you set your mind and body to it. Except for Newton Challenge Run. This kanasai run was my personal worse experience, you can read it here.

Below are the runs I have conquered :
(a) Alor Setar Half Marathon
(b) Kuching Half Marathon
(c) NPE Duo Allianz Highway Challenge 21km
(d) Newton Challenge 30km



9. Suffered from a Few Sports Injuries
Of course, anything relating to sports has it's down effects when you pushed your body to the limits, but one thing for sure, it made me appreciate my body more each time I had an injury. My past injury experience was having Plantar Fasciitis, and IT Band Syndrome. Now, I love my body even if it has a bulging tummy lol Which gave me a good excuse to pamper myself to a good leg massage after a long strenuous workout. Currently, I treat most of my injuries through Chinese acupuncture, and it's really proven to help recover faster.





10. Traveled SOLO
Running has also given me an opportunity to travel SOLO. Why SOLO? Because no one could be as crazy as me to travel somewhere just to go for a run, especially for a female traveler. I stayed in shady motels, and low cost dormitories, never once seeing any female in sight. It was a scary experience, but it was the fear that forces my mind to feel at ease, and also to feel comfortable being uncomfortable.



11. Resume MapleSEA
Influenced by my other half, I resumed playing MapleSEA, but in another server. Felt culture shocked with the new gaming system. Now, my Lvl200 Arch Mage has no place to be in Maple lol Totally cannot pakai.



12. Traveled to Hong Kong with University friends
Also one of my dreams to visit Hong Kong, and finally get to do it with friends! Really love the food and weather there, but the most memorable one was having to squeeze our-self to a really really tiny shower room and to mistakenly drink some "tea" water.



13. Partially Sponsored My Family to Cambodia
Also one of of my dreams to visit a non-developed country and also to sponsor my family to a family trip. Saved really, REALLY hard, only limiting myself to eat economy rice every single day. In the end, everything was worth it. Everything in Cambodia was cheap, if you're planning to visit Cambodia, here's my written travelling tips that may help you plan a budget trip to Cambodia.  



14. Our First Dinner Experience in Dining in the Dark
The food was not a bad deal, and everything was in bite size so it was easier to eat. Totally worth the experience.



15. Winning 2nd Place in Mixed Doubles in Inter-Company Badminton Competition
This partner went MIA and came out of nowhere, with less than 1 month practice and still won 2nd place. lol... speechless. Still happy we progressed quite well with the badminton chemistry we had. Well done partner!



16. Left Delfi Marketing Sdn Bhd
Felt very heavy hearted when I walked out the door on my last day of work. Also the day which reminded me how I almost missed the interview because I got locked in at home (a lot of drama and action to get my house keys lol). And also how I rejected the job offer in the first place but came back to "reconsider" it. Joining the FMCG line was part of my initial career decision, and I never regretted a single minute as it make me a better decision maker, and a better analyzer in my current professionalism. Everything was a blessing in disguised, and I'm glad that there were no regrets as I learned and grew a lot being part of the Delfi family.



17. Attended 40th Incovar Dhamma Camp
Attended IDC40 as a holiday getaway camp, and being the last youth camp before being lazy to join other youth camps. I was aware that I was carrying a very heavy emotional baggage with me throughout the camp, but didn't know that the baggage would burst on the last day. After the camp, I felt emotionally lighter, and sensitively aware of my thoughts and feelings. You can read more on my experience here.



18. Failed an Interview but Joined an E-Commerce Company
Hadn't been to an interview for a long time, so skills were pretty rusty. Unfortunately, the agency didn't even gave me a chance to finish explaining and out-rightly rejected me on the spot. Well, good. I'm blessed that I wasn't accepted to the agency anyway, because in the end, I "accidentally" joined an e-commerce company that provides more window opportunities for me to explore. My company now hires agencies to do the jobs for them. Well, good luck to that agency that rejected me. If you were ever hired, I made sure that your life won't be easy.



19. Became Part of BYFG 2017 Committee Team
Kena con again by BYFG 2017 Vice President, Chen Yee Leong to join the team. Thought it was going to be a walk in the park, manatau I end up doing more than just shaking legs. Dramas aside, I'm glad everything fell into places. Everything went smoothly as expected, and had achieved the overall program objective as initially planned. Just have to try not to be conned the next time lol...



20. Failed a Swimming Competency Test but Soon to Become a Swimming Teacher
I was never afraid to drown until I completed my first swimming competency test. I don't know how many times I almost passed out when I forced myself to complete a task. Signed up to be a swimming coach, because I wanted to teach orphanage children swimming one day. At the same time, I could achieve a more healthier lifestyle while training to become a triathlete. Despite the failure, I still didn't wanna give up on my dreams, so after much consideration, I have finally sold my soul to commit to weekly swimming trainings and swimming classes to a swimming school. To read on my competency test experience, click here.



21. Traveled to Jogjakarta with Him and His Family
My first time in Indonesia, and also my first time spending time with him and his family overseas. My favourite activity was crossing the bridge at Timang Beach, and cave tubing in Kalisuci. The only souvenirs I brought back was sanitary pads, because they were dirt cheap compared to Malaysia (serious leh).



22. Saw Many of My Friends Getting Proposed
I have came to a conclusion, that each time I ran, any one of my friends will either get proposed or get married. And, the myth is true. Congratulations for those who had finally found their other half to settled with. Just don't ask me get married so fast okay? 



23. Say Goodbye to the iPhone Family
Due to the constant increasing price of Apple, it's about time to make the switch. Fell in love with Huawei P10+, and thanks to my sponsor, I'm enjoying all its Androids features unlike any other iOS features. It was really worth the switch. 



24. My Dreams Changed and Plans Didn't Go According to Plan 
At the beginning, I laid out my plans to quit my job, travel to New Zealand for a few months, come back and settled for a new career, but looking back, all these things didn't happen as according to my plan. I found the love of my life, and because I didn't want to leave him, I decided to proceed  to switch my career instead. I ended up with a job that I was happy with, and even taking a ridiculous swimming test which I failed. Committed to be a swimming teacher, traveled solo to cities for a run, and even join BYFG committee team which I least expect to.

I still wish to travel to New Zealand one day, but I don't think I want to sacrifice all these good things that I currently have already. Hopefully, someday, that time will come again.



* * *


Today, I turned 25.





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 dim sums