A Labour Day Story - Behind the Scenes as a Chinese Labour

By steambunz - Sunday, May 01, 2011


Pizza Hut's salary is not that high. RM4 per hour and a free staff meal is all it takes for a worker to get through his day. Their salary, sometimes can be as low as RM1,300 per month for a full-time worker. That is not enough to feed a family!

Some of the staff have no choice to work there, as they do not have the education or skills to have a higher paid job. Some of them were even expelled from school.
But, not all is bad. And guess what? The guy who had flunk his SPM 3 years ago turns out to be my Shift Manager today!

You must be wondering, why would a University student, like me be doing in a fast food restaurant? There are plenty of other jobs which provides higher and better salary than this, no?

Well, I think that
money is not that important, the most important thing is that I like the things that I'm doing.

***


The staff are really nice, sometimes. Although, there are conflicts between employees sometimes, ended up me being the 'middle' person. I blend well with most of the workers, being the only Chinese worker there.

Sometimes, customers can be very bias and racist towards the waitress/waiter there. After finding out I am a Chinese waitress, some customers' starts to 'demand' more things from me. Expecting me to give them BIGGER portion of their pasta, their drinks filled to the rim and even multiple drink refills till no end!!



***

However, if there is one thing that I will remember and cherish in the future, it will be the time when all our morning shift staff (consisting of different races) sat down and ate rice together on a labour's day, Sunday morning. Laughing, talking and sharing the joy together as one.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 dim sums

  1. I like your passion against the work. May be one day you will succeed. Gambateh!

    ReplyDelete