Chapter 25.08 : 25 Things I Did While I Was 25

By steambunz - Sunday, December 02, 2018

1. Went for a Year End Road Trip
Ending and celebrating year 2017 and 2018 with a trip down North, Penang – Kedah – Perak, and lastly Kuala Lumpur with someone special.






2. Celebrated 1 Year Working Anniversary at Interbase
1 year went by in a blink of an eye, and many interesting things happened during this challenging phase. Feeling all the more blessed for “accidentally” finding my current job, and hoping things stay positive, challenging and interesting as long as I’m here.





3. Celebrated Our 2 Years Anniversary
Time doesn’t define how strong our relationship is, but being with him has made me changed as a person during this duration of our relationship. I realized I was more health conscious about my diet and exercises. I try to make my facts clear with solid statements, and try not to assume (let me emphasize on the word “TRY”. Haha). I was more caring as a person to those around me, as he is to me.





4. Became a Swimming Teacher
I have always wanted to do this for a very long time– since my university days, but I guess the assignments, club societies and D2Y got me all caught up, leaving no place for me to think about it. However, during the journey of achieving it, I was totally in doubt when I failed my swimming competency test. I left my wondering dreams for a little while, while I try to work out a backup plan to feed my dreams until one day, again, I “accidentally” met a swimming coach who is looking for someone like me. Looking back, I really thank myself for signing up for this, although it’s slightly uncomfortable at difficult times, but good things will always take place when you work hard for something good you believe in.





5. First Bestie to Be Off the Market
Happy for my uni bestie, Hoh Sheng Ying, to finally found her happily ever after. Getting together for assignments, uni trips, and the frequent driving trips to send you home, has been a wonderful memory of us growing up together. Seeing you being sent away, ensured me that your husband could give you that happiness you deserve for a very long time.
I think I’m at that phase where all your enemies, childhood friends, cousins, someone-from-uni-you-used-to-know, are getting married and you will start to feel like : Dam, where is this phase leading me to?





6. Went Rock Climbing and First Time Training to Be a Belayer
My boyfriend re-introduce me to rock climbing, and I’m quite hooked after a few tries of this sport. Special thanks to Derrick Tan for the special tips and lessons on the belaying techniques. I’m still pretty scared of heights though (I have trust issues with the rope… and my boyfriend as a belayer haha… just jk).





7. Completed My First Full Marathon
This was the ultimate physical and mental challenge that I have been waiting for all my life (SCMKL'18 & PBIM'18). I grew up as a short distance runner back in secondary school, and I asked myself, how far can my body take? Is it ever possible for my body to complete a long distance run? How is it like to run a marathon?
Making this decision to conquer the state of impossibilities was the biggest impact in my life. It taught me lessons of perseverance, mental and physical discipline, and most importantly, mindfulness and awareness of the body and the mind.
The shortest answer to my above questions : Anything impossible can be accomplished as long as you conditioned your body and mind to do it.





8. Travelled to Jeju Island
It was originally planned to be an advance birthday surprise for my boyfriend, but of course, he was unaware of it. The highlight of the trip was the hike up to South Korea’s highest mountain – Mt.Hallasan, because hiking was his favourite activity. It was also a training prior to our Mt.Kinabalu expedition. Besides the hike, we had fun driving around Jeju for the first time. The Love Land Park was surprisingly intriguing. And, I almost got caught by a traffic police for driving illegally (yikes!).





9. Passed my Lifesaving Bronze Medallion Test
After months of physical and mental training, the efforts really paid off. The moment where I dived into the pool at the sound of the whistle, made me questioned myself, “Why am I even doing this?”
A really common question, but throughout the whole lonely swimming process, I thought about the kids, my family and friends, my boyfriend, and myself.





10. First Time Voting and a Change of Government
It’s pretty clear what the millennials want, and all they want is change. I’m fortunate and glad that we are part of this new change in history.





11. Finished Reading a Book After 2 Years
The lack of discipline and motivation resulted to 2 years of procrastination to complete this book. This is really bad, as I reflected back; because how am I supposed to gain more insights and knowledge in the future if I lacked so much discipline to read? Selling this book at RM10 at Carousel if you’re interested. It’ll be free for those who treat me to lunch ;)





12. Attended My First Cultural Malay Wedding
I was really there, can you spot me?





13. Took Laughing Gas
When I took it for the first time, I didn’t really laugh. It’s quite depressing to know that when the moment “arises”, I shed tears more than I laugh. May be due to stress and pressure at the time when this happens. But rest assured, it wasn’t something harmful when I did this.



14. Welcome Back Sara
I threw a prank to get everyone together to announce my “red bomb”. Unfortunately, to their disappointment, it wasn’t. Haha… It was a celebration for Ooi Shin Yee’s birthday and also to welcome Sara back to Malaysia.





15. Did My first Open Water Swim
It was a teaser to my triathlon training. Once at Putrajaya Lake, and my second at Port Dickson beach. The fear of what lies underneath the water still scares me. But it’s something that I have to overcome if I ever want to do a triathlon in the future.





16. Getaway Trip to Cherating
A getaway trip together with Sara to Cherat to spend some long lost friendship times. Touched a turtle and saw fireflies up closed for the first time. Will gonna miss the times we spent together.





17 Became an Aunty
I always wanted to have my own family one day, but looks like my sister beat me to it. Baby boy, Aiden, is well and healthy. I’m starting to have a certain liking towards babies recently though, but… hahahaha (refer picture below).


18. Did FB Live Bidding
Came out from my comfort zone to become a 1-hour online salesperson. It was the challenge that sparks the interest in me to just do it. Up till now I still haven’t watched the live bidding video yet, and I don’t think I plan to watch it, ever. Let’s just keep it buried deep down in the history of Facebook forever ya.





19. Did Discovery Scuba Diving
After attending discovery scuba diving, I conclude that if “swimming” and “scuba diving” are two real people, they won’t be good friends, because the breathing method is so different! And if anything goes wrong in the deep while scuba diving, it’s really GG.com. Can’t wait to take the full scuba diving course together with Tan Kai Lin next year!





20. Visited Fraser Hill & Went Water Rafting at Gopeng with My Swim Team
Just a quick getaway from the city and more bonding time with my swimming family.





21. Visited Kota Kinabalu and Conquered Mt.Kinabalu for the First Time
The main highlight of the trip was paragliding and the climb to Mt.Kinabalu. It was a tough climb, but Laban Rata and the peak was the most memorable one. I still remembered being too bold, climbing through the darkness alone during the trip up to the peak at 2am++. I was ahead from the rest of the groups and it was pitch dark and quiet. A sense of fear struck me when I stopped to look around, finding out that there’s no one around me. I was scared due to safety and survival reasons (I had no water with me), but when I look up at the skies, the stars ensured me that I was gonna be fine. And sure enough, I was.





22. Attended BYFG as a Participant
I thought it would be great to finally enjoy the games just for once, but in actual fact, I think running a half marathon also not that tiring (insert crying emoji here). I personally enjoyed the Bludgers role in Quidditch, and the good old match of Captain Ball.





23. Second Work Outstation Trip to Penang
Not sure if it’s a coincidence. My last company trip was also to Penang in conjunction of the Penang Bridge Marathon. This time, it’s also in Penang— and it’ll be a frequent one too. I guess the Penang spirit will forever be with me.



24. Attended MSTA Swimming Course
Once in awhile, it’s good to have similar minded people to reenergize you and remind you the purpose of your passion. Being surrounded by a group of positive swimming teachers during the 5-days swimming course was truly eye opening and inspiring at the same time. I hope we will continue to inspire and create a better good of future individuals, not only in terms of swimming, but as a adult too.


25. Solo Trip to Bangkok
I decided, that every year from now, I will take a solo trip every once a year before my birthday for these 3 purposes :
a) S – to Self-align my goals and directions in life
b) P – to Practice spiritual-cultivation through personal reflection and trusting my consciousness and thoughts in an unknown environment. Praying and giving thanks to the people who have surrounded my life
c) A – to Appreciate myself and to enjoy more “me” times.

Enjoyed a 7 days relaxing trip at Bangkok. Must give special thanks to Eng, my guardian angel for taking good care of me. No matter where I am, I always feel blessed to have you. Really happy to be able to catch up with you again even though it was a short while. Completed my first international half-marathon overseas. After that, I was reunited with my badass bestie, Heng Yean Lynn, to enjoy the rest of the Bangkok trip.



Today, I turned 26.





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 dim sums