Chapter 27.02 : 27 Things I Did While I Was 27

By steambunz - Monday, November 30, 2020

2020 has been a mind-blowing ass year for me. Period.
Not just for me, I'm pretty sure it's for everyone too. No further explanations are needed for that, you all already knew it.

But for me, it's so galvanizing! Now that I look back, one event after another somehow correlates in building a climax and resolution to my story. It's so unbelievable!

Despite 2020 being a challenging year, all that matters is the actions that you have taken so far this year to triumph over these obstacles. So what have you done so far since 2020 is coming to a close?

Well, these are the things I did so far this year while I was still 27 years old.

* * *

1. Travelled To India

If you ask many of your friends, India is probably not the first place in mind when it comes to a holiday place. However, it has always been my dream to go and understand the living conditions and the culture of the total opposite of what we had. Finally visited the most exquisite buildings in India, met kids at the slumps, met interesting people, and many more! Now, looking back, with the current limitations to travel, I kinda missed India a lot and wouldn't mind going back if it's the only place I could go during this crazy pandemic crisis. Read more about my travels in India here.

Out of all the places, Taj Mahal was the only place that stole my heart (and breath)!

2. Took Part In a Mixed-Doubles Friendly Match

Won first round, lose second round. Oh well, at least we got to experience the thrill and excitement!

My mixed-doubles partner, Calvin (on my left)

3. Graduated With A Digital Marketing Qualifications

To stay relevant to the workforce demand and foreseeable economic trends, this is definitely something that I had planned to do for a long time. The more knowledge you have, the better in diversifying your revenue options in the future.



4. Say Goodbye & Part Ways

The hardest part of leaving someone you love is saying goodbye. It was the hardest decision to make, but our reasons for this conclusive choice is that we grew apart over the years and our goals couldn't be aligned to what we both want. Our differences divided us instead of helping us to understand each other and fulfilling our partner's needs. And, that's just the nicest way of me putting in words here. 


5. Went For My First Surgery In March

Two days after my break-up, I went for my first surgery to remove an infected milk duct which was causing my left nipple to bleed since October 2019. Had my first experience with general anesthetics and it was so good! The only unpleasant experience is when they had to punch in the IV drips into my veins, and when I received my surgery report that I have high chances of getting breast cancer in the future.

My besties woke up 6AM to accompanied me to the hospital

6. Experience Nationwide MCO Lockdown

MCO sent me into a frenzy when I couldn't go out to do the usual kinds of stuff I enjoyed doing. To add on to this, it was the worst timing especially after a break-up when I'm forced to come to terms with uncomfortable feelings and emotions when I'm in a sedentary mode. I lost myself a few times, but thank goodness for work and friends that helped me stay grounded to my senses. I gained a few kilos during MCO and realized I became a little more introverted, paranoid, and slightly anxious when being able to go out once again. 


7. Resigned From IRSB & Joined Lazada

It was a once in a lifetime opportunity I couldn't decline, and so after nearly 3-years with my e-commerce family, it was time to say goodbye. During my tenure here, I kickstart 2 of my baby brands and cover a variety of marketing executions for large corporate clients and campaigns. IRSB will always be family to me. This farewell poem was dedicated to the team that been my support system for those few years.

The day I returned physically to office was already my 3rd month at Lazada! 

8. Launched My Own Swim/Tri Brand & Swimming Donation Program

Early this year, my contract ended with a swimming company I was bonded with. I very much knew how comfortable I was working alone and had plenty of ideas to kick start a side business. But with MCO up in the pipes, my plans got side-tracked a bit, hence launching my very first donation program which I had planned for a very long time! The program was very successful, and it kept my weekends busy during RMCO. My aim is to provide affordable swimming lessons to a community that is deserving to have access to basic swimming and survival skills. Education should be free, and so should swimming!

Follow my 2nd Instagram account for more swim/sports contents!

9. Revamp My Blog

All the time in the world during MCO got me doing this. The blog that you're reading now has a fresh and cleaner look! With a very own blog logo too! What do you think? 


10. Completed A 21-Day Meditation Challenge

Not a meditative person, but the things you do to stop going crazy during MCO. Nevertheless, I felt more composed and it helped relieve the difficult emotions I was facing. Click the video below or this link to try out this challenge!


11. Jogged 4KM Indoors & Cycled More

Again, the shit things you do to (try) maintaining an active lifestyle. Plus, HIIT was never my thing. With that, I've also invested more time training on my bike to complete the full tri experience. I had a love and hate relationship with cycling since (especially the hills), and it was the only exercise I could do after my major operation in September. My legs are gonna be so ripped! 

Nearly died every time I cycled uphill. Why people even cycle? lol

12. Went Scuba Diving In Tenggol Island

Hopped right in this bandwagon together with my scuba partner, Tan Kai Lin. Something which had been on my bucket list for some time but didn't have an urgency to go do it. Regardless of the hefty investment, I'm glad we power through this crazy choice we made and it reminded me that there's so much more in life to live for, and this was one of it! It's a whole new world to explore!


13. Virtually Felt Closer To The Dalai Lama & Read Up Stories About Him

For the first time, seeing Dalai Lama up-closed virtually on Zoom was an astounding experience! Because of that, I read up about the history of Tibet, and how did the Dalai Lama came about and how it is elected. Now I know where's my next travel destination to go next. Tibet!


14. Reconnected With Old Friends & Made New Friends

Caught up with old friends like Kavilan and Chan Song Ian. Also made new ones from virtual social gatherings. 


15. Spent Time With My Dog 

With more time at home, I get to spend more time with my dog, Fluffy. I took her for walks, talk to her more, and give her a lot of hugs. Because of this, I realize a change of behaviour as she was previously very distant from me and refused to come close to me. But after this, she was craving for every attention! Love really does conquers every change of behaviour.

Me and my nearly botak-hairless Fluffy

16. Prep & Cook My Own Meals (Sometimes)

I saved more money after a few months of cooking my own meals, but it came at an opportunity cost of having shorter rests during lunch times. Not just that, I was particularly picky with the food I ate ever since after my operation. Hence, I cut down dairy products and also ate a little healthier to prevent getting breast cancer.

Salad was the easiest to prep so far lol

17. Went Cafe Hopping To Keep Myself "Updated"

Something that I have wanted to do for a long time, and I enjoyed going around to people-watch and catching up on my readings. But hor... cafe hopping is such an expensive hobby weh. Why do people even do it?

Picture taken at Feeka Coffee, KL

18. Went Laser Tag For The First Time!

Not knowing how my colleagues look like ever since Day 1 working in Lazada, it was my first time being able to finally meet up with my whole team! Plus, it was my first time playing laser tag! It felt really good to be out and running and communicating with people again. 


19. Fall Prey To Netflix & Spotify

Hopped on the subscription bandwagon because couldn't resist the urge to watch some interesting series/movies from Netflix, and to get away from the annoying ads from Shopee on Spotify.

And My Pattern Creative Netflix Friends

20. Found Out I Had Early Symptoms of Breast Cancer

Months after my first surgery, breast cancer never came to my mind. Until one fine day when I was showering, I found out that the same operated breast felt lumpy. I got it checked and turns out that I was diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ(DCIS). In simpler terms, it was Stage 0 breast cancer. That was the determining factor that made me rethink everything in my life. It was the major highlight of my 2020, but it never stopped me from achieving my goals and being me.


21. Went Batu Caves For The First Time
In case I died during surgery, I wanted to make sure I lived my life to the maxed.
So, I decided to go cuti-cuti Malaysia and finally visited Batu Caves with my besties! It was a colourful experience!


22. Made A Spontaneous Decision To Do My First Boudoir Photography

After days of reflecting, I woke up one day and mustered all the courage to pick up the phone and dialed his number. I remembered trying not to bawl my eyes out when telling Peter what I wanted to do and the reason for me wanting to do this. Till this day, it was a decision that I never regretted. I embraced all my imperfections by coming to terms with my vulnerability when standing in front of a camera half-naked.

Credits to Peter Tan Photography Studio

23. Had My First Breast Implants!

On 17th September, I officially became a breast cancer survivor, and to be honest, it didn't felt any much different going through this breast removal surgery! Thanks to the implants, it helped me maintain my self-esteem, confidence, and positive outlook in life. There are more things to look forward to, and it's going to be the best experience going through it with my new boobs! LOL.

The hospital even made my meal to look like my tits. Such coincidence.

24. Snipped My Hair Off & Donated To Locks Of Hope

What else is new when you have a new boob? A new haircut!
Raised RM800 and donated both my hair and the money to help make a wig for cancer patients! Thanks to the following donators : YiXuan, Chin Aik, Shen Lieng, Julian Lim, and Leonard Lai. 

Me in my post-surgery "premium" sports bra which is compulsory to be worn for 5-6 months

25. Raise Awareness On Breast Cancer & Did My First FB Livestream

As a promise to myself for coming out alive from the surgery, I decided to kick start this breast cancer awareness journey to get the people around me educated about breast cancer. So many misconceptions and grey areas around it and no one says anything about it!! People should know, especially young ladies! I have decided that every year during October, I will dedicate all my efforts and time to educate all young ladies over the world in schools, colleges, and the community. People should know, and it will start from me! To watch my livestream, click here.

One of the livestreams at Yara to share about breast cancer awareness

26. Cleaned & Redecorated My Home

With 1 month of medical leave, the longest MC I've ever had, I decided to make use of this time to declutter and give my home a breather.

One part of the kitchen that I cleaned. This is the after results but still looks messy. Can you imagine how the before looks like?

27. Learned To Play Mahjong

Realized Mahjong is not just a game, it's really a piece of art and the meaning behind it is so deep leh! What I like about this game is that it never gets bored and the winning outcome is always ever-changing!

Thanks to our Mahjong sifu, Harry Liow for teaching us


* * *

Today, I turned 28.



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 dim sums