Can I Help You? [Chapter 4]

By steambunz - Sunday, January 04, 2009

Cecelia got back in the car as she slowly lost sight of him. She took a deep breath and look out from the window as hey drove pass the other closed shop lots.

"Aren't you going to ask me something?"

A deep voice spoke.

"Nah, why should I? You're always not on time," Cecelia said calmly while continuing to look out at the window.

"Pfft," the driver scoffed and continued,"who was that man you were talking to earlier?"

"Non of your business." Cecelia cut in while putting onto her earphones and listening to her Walkman in full blast.

"I am your brother, of course it's my business to know."

Too late. Cecelia was humming away, ignoring his brother. He looked at his rear mirror and gave that annoying look on his face.

The car came to a halt in front of the big entrance gate as it slowly begins to open for the car to drive in. Cecelia was the first one to hop out from the car and rush in to the bungalow house without looking back.
An elderly man in pyjamas appeared at the entrance door, rubbing his eyes.

"Oh, Nigel. What keeps you awake at this time of hour?"

"Oh, nothing Second Master. Just a small commotion when Young Master was stomping all the way up the stairs to her room. Purposely, I suppose," the butler yawned.

He shook his head and yawns.

"Oh, Second Master, Master wants to see you first thing in the morning."

"Well, Nigel, let's talk about it first thing in the morning shall we. I'm busted."

"I think I change my mind, shall we have this talk right now," a deep, toned voice cut in.

There, at the entrance door, stood a descent young man in his 40's, leaning against the door frames.

"Oh, hi father..."

"Come in to my office," he cuts in before his son could finish what he was saying.

Upon reaching the office, his father was sitting at the edge of his table desk, holding a glass, filled with red wine.

"Take a seat, son."

"Dad, it's in the wee hours of the morning. I need some rest."

"I guess you suggested to stand, perhaps. Never mind, I'll make this a quick session," he stood up and placed the wine glass on the table.

"You didn't carry out your job well today as Cecelia's protector brother. You were suppose to fetch her as soon as she finishes her night shift, but where the hell were you,"he roared.

"I was busy dad, I can't leave the office until I finish my project!"

"You know what will happen to her do you? What will happen if it did happen to her? Talking to strangers like that..."

"C'mon dad, he was just a stranger. They have nothing in common!!"

A sudden glare rose up to the elderly father face. A glare which kills!

"Are you telling me, Cecelia talked to a stranger," he growled, banging the table.

"Argh! Dad, please don't start this again. Cecelia have already talked to...who-knows-how-many customers during her job. He's just a stranger. They don't know each other. And can I go and get some sleep now?"

The elderly father looked at the time on his fancy digital watch, which read 4.30am.

"Very well, we shall continue this tomorrow then."

"Oh gawd,"he groans.

"Son, whatever you do, Cecelia musn't get too close to anyone..."

"Yes, dad! You told me that a million times. You should get some sleep dad. It's late."

He walked out from the room.

Sigh. What am I suppose to do as a worthless father.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cecelia layed on her bed in her pyjamas. Humming.

She was still thinking of the man she met earlier.

I wonder who was that man. She thought to herself. No one has ever make me feel this happy before.

She got up and stood in front of the mirror, combing her long hair. She pauses and smiles at the mirror.

I wonder if I could see him again.

[To Be Continue]

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 dim sums