Can I Help You? [Chapter 6]

By steambunz - Friday, January 30, 2009

It feels like a few days back when I was saved by a prince in shiny white armour. It feels all like a dream to me. Too good to be true, I keep telling myself. But yet, I was wrong in the sense that I have no one to lend a hand from.

Days lead to months, since Andrew and I went out together regularly after that incident. He's always there to make sure I reach home safe and sound. He was like a prince to me. Like saving the damsel from the distress. But, I knew he was treating me like a sister and not more then that.
I wish I could tell him the truth that I wasn't taken. Things would have been different by then. My feelings for him grew each and everyday. But, to me, it's the most painful thing I have ever felt for the first time. I don't know how to describe this pain. But it's starting to hurt each time I see him. Why?

One night, after my night shift. He took me to one of his favourite place. The beach.

It was a dark and cold night. The beach was deserted as it was already late. The stars were shimmering in the dark cool sky. The moon was shining so bright. The smell of the salty cool water tickles the edge of my nostrils.

We sat down on the sand and smell the fresh cool night breeze. I closed my eyes as a gust of wind blew against my face. I looked at the stars above. Shining like diamonds. Then, I look at Andrew. He was looking out into the sea. Calm and perfectly still as he sat there.

He stretched his right hand to take a look at his watch and went back to the same position again.

That got me into curiosity. I thought people wear watches on the left hand, I thought to myself. Maybe he's a left handed person. No, that can't be it, I saw him writing with his write hand before.

I broke the silence with a question.

"Why do you wear your watch on your right hand," I asked as I pointed out to his Rolex watch."I usually thought people would wear it on the left hand side."

He smiles and adjust his loosely wore watch.

He took a deep breath and said,"This is the first time someone has ask me that question."

He looked at me and smiled. I stared at him, looking blankly into his eyes. He continued to look out into the sea once more.

"I always like to look at the time on my watch. It tells people the time and helps us to be punctual in meetings or in events. It became a regular habit of mine to look at the watch sometimes. Either looking forward to home after work or reaching my office place in time. And without it, all my schedules will turn upside down."

He pauses awhile and took a deep breath before he continued.

"When I have the chance to hold that someone special hands. I want to hold her hands forever and never let it go. In that way, I can look at my watch with my right hand without letting go on her hand which is my left hand."

He grinned at me.

I felt my face turned pinkish. He's word touches the soul inside of me. Somehow, someway. I must tell him the truth.

"Oh, I see. That's...so sweet,"I hesitated.

I dug a small hole with my finger, turning it around and around in the sand. Trying to think of a way to tell him.

"You remember the guy who fetches me home late at night," I asked.

"Oh, you mean that boyfriend of yours? Yeah, why?"

"Well, it's a lie. He isn't my boyfriend. He's my brother."

There was an awkward silence. Nothing but the sounds of the tide washing against the shore.

"I'm sorry if I lied to you. I didn't mean to," I quickly apologised, tilting my head down.

He suddenly smiled. He look up into the sky and closed his eyes, feeling the wind rushing against his face.

Are guys suppose to react that way when a girl lies to a man? I thought to myself, looking at him, searching for a clue of forgiveness but failed to.

Out of a sudden, he stood up and brushed off the sand. He took my right hand and pulled me up.

"Where are we going," I asked, feeling confused from the whole situation while brushing off the sand from my jeans.

Andrew took me nearer towards the tide. And as we stood there, he took something out from his pocket.

"Look at this," he said.

He waited for the tide to hit the shore, finding a correct timing. And with his right hand, he threw a pebble into the sea. It skipped 3 times.

"You know what it means," he asked.

I shook my head.

He smiled and said,"it means, I love you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BANG!

Cecelia's father bang his fist on his table.

"That pathetic useless son of mine. Nothing but a workaholic son!"

He shouted in raged.

"Nothing but a simple task he can't even complete as a brother of his sister!"

Nigel stood at the entrance of the door.

"Who is that guy who is always with Cecelia," demanded the elderly old man.

"I heard that he is her only closed friend I presume," Nigel said calmly.

"Argh!"

Cecelia's father bang his fist on his table again.

"This will not continue any longer! Nigel, I suggest you know what you're suppose to do."

"Yes, Master."

Nigel bowed and left the room.
[To Be Continue]

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 dim sums