Can I Help You? [Chapter 2]

By steambunz - Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I must be in a dreamland by now. My thoughts were all wondering off to a faraway land. So far, that I can see fairies giggling and floating everywhere in my head. It feels like heaven.

"Erh, sir, is there anything I can do for you?"

Something snapped in my head and I was back to reality. From where I stand, in front of the counter, looking straight ahead at the lady behind the counter, looking at me curiously.

A man entered the shop. Trying to dry himself from the heavy rain.

I was dumbstruck. I stood there, trying to think what to do next. I need to think of something, and fast!

I saw a box of mentos. Somehow, my body automatically react to that stupid box of mentos. I grab the mentos and lean against the counter, surprisingly, the lady stood still, looking at me calmly. Watching my every move.

"I was wondering, is there any discount for this little box of mentos. It seems not many people buy these stuff these days," I said sarcastically.

The lady look at me awkwardly. Speechless.

*Ahem*

I look at the back. A big size man was waiting impatiently for his turn to come. I turned back and look at the lady again. Scared out of my wits.

"Oh, okay, forget it. I'll just take this box of mentos," I said quickly.

And, after paying it, I went straight towards the Exit. Just by then, the rain slowly came to a stop, and the people walking on the streets were seen again.

Oh, well. I guess this is the first and the last time I'll be seeing that lady in that shop again, as I took a deep breath and start my journey back home once again.

But I guess...

I was wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day was another hectic day at work again.

My boss wanted me to work on an very important project before the deadline which was tomorrow. Thus, staying back at the office alone. The project was driving me crazy!!! It drives me to the edge, that I wanted to jump down the building and just DIE!!

I was the only one left at the office, even the workers already left. Surrounded by all the works around my table.

It was 1am. I took a small break and went out from the office to find something to drink. But, the only shop I could think of was that 7-Eleven shop that I went yesterday.

Suddenly, remembering the lady at the counter. Maybe I can have the chance to see her again? And maybe I can know what's her name?!

I slapped myself. What am I doing?! I'm suppose to get a cup coffee and get back to work!!

Okay, this work is just getting into me, I thought to myself before entering the shop.

I headed straight towards the coffee booth, not even dare to look who was the person standing at the counter. I took a small sip of the coffee and took it to the counter to pay.

Well, as to say. I found myself feeling disappointed to see a different person at the counter.

I try to act normal and asked the person at the counter about the lady I saw yesterday.

Oh, you mean Chloe," the fat women said rudely while counting the cash,"why...she just left after her shift just 10 minutes ago."

Disappointed, I took my coffee and left the shop. Walking back towards my office.

Well, so called bad luck today, huh?

I wasn't looking where I was walking.

When, something else happen...

"Ouch!"

I found myself lying face down on the pavement. My cup of coffee twirling around, with the drink all splattered on the floor. There goes my cup of coffee.

"Oh, I'm sorry sir. Are you okay? I'm really really sorry...,"said a voice somewhere in my head.

I got up and brush my shirt. Argh!!! Coffee stains!!!

"Here, take my handkerchief."

I was now, staring at a white lace handkerchief on a very small pair of hands. I took a glance at the person and to my amazement.

It was the counter lady, Chloe!

I was dumbfounded for a moment.

"Sir? Sir? Are you okay?"

I found back the words I wanted to say,"I'm fine. Thanks."

"Oh, thank goodness. I thought I would get into trouble," she sigh.

"Do you remember who am I," suddenly I asked.

"Erh...no sir...I'm sorry...," she apologised.

Huh? How can a girl whom I just met yesterday forgets? I thought to myself. Maybe she had a short term memory problem or so.

"But aren't you Chloe," I asked feeling confuse of the whole situation.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she apologise again and continues,

"I'm not Chloe."
[To Be Continue]

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 dim sums